
Taking a zero makes you a hero! WHAT???
If you're doing the open WODs and you suddenly find you can't do one or more of the movements because you just have not mastered that skill, or because you have a physical limitation; taking a zero on your Reebok CrossFit score does not mean that you have not accomplished something amazing.
It's just like every other WOD you do... you work hard, give what you've got, and stand proud when all is said and done.
Modifications and scaling due to physical limitations or skill/ability make you smart, wise and someone to look up to.
For example, Jillian Cook did 86 burpees in 7 minutes for WOD 12.1 (making her the 2nd highest scoring woman in the box), but happily took a zero for WOD 12.2.
Jillian knew that the snatch ladder workout could potentially re-injure her shoulder, and decided to sit last week's WOD out, as a pre-caution.
When asked about this, Jillian said;
"I want to be CrossFitting in 20 years. I don't want one WOD to make me re-injure myself. I know my body, and this competition is not that important to me."
Make sure you are taking time to evaluate the WOD and your own personal strengths, weaknesses, and limitations; like Jillian did.
Egos need to be left at the door so we can make physical and emotional gains.
Keep a healthy prospective on what we are doing here, we are not saving the world, we are working out and having fun!
Your health, fitness and safety are far more important and motivating.
Be smart and wise....I'm proud of you for showing up!
Now that's a score!
- Jennifer Conlin
Wow- thanks for posting this Jen..I'm struggling with that exact dilemma right now. Stuck to the 45# snatches for 12.2 and I'm still sore: was thinking of getting a cortisone shot for 12.3 but my gut is saying "just let it go".
ReplyDelete