Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Competition


If you are interested in competing, there are endless opportunities available to you right now:

Running- 5ks to marathons, Triathlons, adventure races
Shooting- We have members who compete in these
Orienteering - Ask Charley and Rhonda
Olympic Weightlifting- Your coaches favorite!
Power-lifting- Jana is doing one this weekend.
Strongman- Dave M is doing one really soon
CrossFit Comps of all types- lots of you have or are going to.
Sky Diving - Brian, Izzo, Bob, Tom, Matt C to name a few
C2- C.R.A.S.H B's- Brooke and Dave F

You get the idea, lots of things to "compete" in, to have fun with, and to feel motivated by.

Let's gain some perspective on competition:

It is not the end all be all of you, or our gym.

If you have no-zero- zilch interest in competition, that's totally coolieo with us and does not in any way, shape, or form make you less important!

It does not lesson our support or interest in your goals, I eat breath and live your goals!

Things you should ask yourself before getting into competitions.

Am I ready for this?

Do I know my limits?

How will it effect me if I do poorly?

What are my goals and can I stick to them?

If I'm doing this to, "Have fun" will I lose sight of that and get totally stressed out, or go totally bat-shit crazy?


As your coach, I have a pretty good understanding of most of your goals, with fitness and some other aspects of your life.

I don't want being in a competition to stress you out, we all have enough stress.

Health and Fitness cover a broad swath in the big picture of life.

Competition can be a stepping stone and build you and our community up, or it can become an obsession that can injure you physically and divide a community.

Competition creates an electric environment, that can press the fast to be faster, and the strong stronger...

...It can also press novice to intermediate athletes in due time, or before their time.

For some people the, "competition of life" is enough.

Getting to the gym is a huge win! This is an amazing and righteous goal!

What's the bottom line?

Talk to me, work with me on understanding your plan, even if plan is to have fun I can help you make that happen!

The biggest competition that we are all in is the, "Fit for life" competition!

I care deeply about your experience, your fitness and your health.

Let's make a plan.





By: Jen Conlin
Contributing Writer: Liz Getz

1 comment: