Thursday, November 17, 2011

Expect Bear Crawls


I hate bear crawls.

They are the worst, especially in a WOD.

They make my poor shoulders scream, and I feel like a dumb ass doing them.

I know I’m not supposed to care what I look like; I’m supposed to focus on the WOD, the movement, my body... yada, yada, yada.

I hate them anyway.

But I do them.

I do them because Coach Conlin taught me that CrossFit is about stepping out of my comfort zone. Not everyday is going to be back squats and jump roping like I want it to be.

Sometimes, we’re gonna do burpees. For an entire WOD.

We’re gonna run in the pouring rain, in the dark… backwards. How do you avoid puddles running backwards??

You don’t.

Just like you don’t avoid wall climbs, hand stand push ups, or rolling out.

Life is not about picking and choosing the easy stuff from the hard stuff, and neither is CrossFit. It’s about pushing yourself; learning something new, trying something different.

Lifting weights will not turn you into a bulky she-man overnight, or ever for that matter. Step out of your comfort zone, scare yourself, live a little, and throw some weight on that bar.

It boils down to this; you don’t become an elite athlete by avoiding the stuff that hurts.

If you’re scared of a movement, talk to Jen about it. Tell her your fears, and she will help you get over them.

Or, if you’re like me and just hate a particular movement because it sucks; get over it… because I can tell you this: the more Jen knows we hate something, the more she programs it.

On that note, expect bear crawls… all next week.

You’re welcome.

________________________________________

Non-Related Sidenote:

CFL wants to give a big shout out to Renegade Fitness of Avon, for providing the kettlebells for the Mom's Comp. If you are in the market for CF equipment of your own, go see them, and tell them where you WOD!

The bells from the Mom's Comp are for sale! See Jen for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment