Monday, April 18, 2011

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Every last one of us will admit that when we first stepped into a Crossfit box, it all seemed pretty out of reach, ridiculous, and plain ol' effing nuts. Come on, 24" box jumps? Back squatting 200+? Double unders, tire flips, and hand stand push ups?? It's easy to see why we are all a little intimidated in the beginning.

But you know what? Every last one of us continued showing up anyway.

Some people call it "drinking the Kool Aid". Like Crossfit is a cult; and we are all going to lay down in our Lulu's and Inov-8's, pray to the Gods of Muscle Up's and eat meat. I don't know about all that, but I know that if I am ever lacking motivation, I don't have to look far.

Open the doors of Legitimus and you'll find all kinds of people, in all shapes and sizes, there to inspire you to get your ass in gear.

Take Brian. He is a father and husband. He owns a gym, has a full time job, and oh yeh, he flies and jumps out of planes. No big deal. If this guy can find the spare hour in the day, so can I.

Or Matt & Erin, who both commute an hour each way, but still get into the gym 4+ days a week.

Or Viv & Jordan, who both took home 1st place trophies this weekend at their 1st Olympic Weight Lifting Competition.

Or Dylan. Hello, he is eleven freaking years old, and he has a fafillion pull ups! (For the record, I don't even have one.)

What about Spencer? The kid may as well be Kenyan. He runs a 4 minute mile!

The list is long, and endless. I can look at each and every person that walks in the CFL doors and find something inspiring about them, that makes me want to work harder.

We all remember our first WOD, and the first time we busted our shin on a box jump. We've all at least thought about posting pictures of our torn up hands, or after WOD face plants on facebook. Every last one of us had to start from somewhere, had to build up our strength, endurance, commitment. No matter how crazy competitive the fire breathers seem, it's true that we're all in this together, cheering each other on.

At least, this is what I tell myself as I play the caboose on the long runs; chugging along and eating your dust. Don't worry, I am cool with it... dust is paleo, and goes great with Kool-Aid.

by Arell Nankervis

No comments:

Post a Comment