Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Adam-Bomb Goes Paleo


I was hesitant at first, to say the least.

I had just started at CFL when the first 30 Day Paleo Challenge kicked off and I wasn’t interested.

Eat like a cave man?

Stray from my convenient and (slightly) unhealthy diet? Yeah, okay….

Breakfast; A bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Lunch; 3 cheeseburgers on the way to work.
Dinner; General Tso’s.
Snack; Large coffee light and sweet... 3-4 times a day.
Work. Sleep. Repeat.

But I wanted to see the results in my body that my peers were seeing in theirs.

I ordered a Paleo cookbook and stalked the Crossfit Paleo Gangsta’s website.

The food actually looked good and the theory made sense; food is fuel. Eat meat and veggies.

Prior to the 90 Day Paleo Challenge, I had made small changes to my diet and had already started seeing changes.

I immediately dropped an easy 5 pounds. This would be a piece of cake!

Well, what helped get me through was pretending everything was a piece of cake.

The Challenge started and I committed.

I began doing Paleo strictly Monday through Friday and having (small) cheats on the weekends.

My body felt less bloated, healthier, more energetic.

The best part was about half way through the challenge, when my strength really started to pick up and the weight was melting off.

When I ate non-paleo (grains, sweets, soda) I felt awful afterwards.

Not satisfied, bloated and uncomfortable. My body’s way of saying “I told you so...”.

My clothes were falling off. I was destroying all the belts I owned by drilling new holes in them so they would fit.

At the end of the 90 day challenge I was down 20 pounds.

A grand total of 35 pounds since April of this year.

I went from a size 42-44 pant, to a size 36.

I was WOD-ing like a rock star, because I had more energy and quieting all the Paleo haters with my amazing results. Co-workers and friends would make caveman jokes and taunt me with non-paleo dishes, but they always followed up with “You do look great” and “Keep doing what you’re doing”.

My wife still thinks I’m crazy for drinking my coffee black, but she’s loving my results too

Paleo is now a way of life for me.

Anyone who has doubts should just try it for 30 days. No, it’s not more expensive than McDonald's and Chinese take-out (I would know).

With a little commitment and extra planning, you can do it.

Lastly, I have to give major props to Coach Conlin for everything she has done for me. Without her guidance through each and every WOD and her knowledge about Paleo, I’d be the heavier miserable me. So, thanks again!

5 comments: