Sunday, January 29, 2012

Rest

Train, train, train, train, train, train, and train.

That was seven times right?

I need to get stronger but how can I possibly fit another day into that schedule?

Jen Conlin has taught me a lot of things, and this was one of the hardest to understand and believe.

It wasn't until I started getting injured that I began to think, "Wow, Jen might be right."

Over training will give you no gains and leave your body in shambles; it's that simple.

Rest and recovery are often foolishly ignored by athletes that become frustrated with injury and limited gains.

Let's face it: your body has its limits... and sometimes, it needs a break!

Rest is a tricky thing, and everyone's needs are different.

It is up to you to figure out what works best for your body and muscles; not resting is not an option.

Rest can be many different things:

It can be the ten seconds of rest we get during a Tabata, the five minutes we get between lifts, or full days off during the week.

There can also be active rest days, when you do something a little different than your normal routine (go for a run, ride a bike, take a hike, or play some hoops).

Rest = results.

As I sit here and type this on a lazy Sunday, my legs are pounding after doing Tabata yesterday.

Is it a good day to go back and do back squats?

The answer seems obvious, but for an active adult who is addicted to exercise, it's not that easy.

Sometimes you think, "Well, maybe it won't be sore if I just go lift more."

I used to think, if I lifted more my body would get used to it, and I would stop getting sore.

This type of thinking brought on injury after injury.

(5 minute pause)

Okay, I'm back. I stretched my legs and I feel better already. I also drank a glass of water too.

Are you starting to see my point?

Rest, hydrate, results.

Water is often not considered when thinking about recovery, but it is nature's way of making us feel better.

Without water, we would all die. It's that simple.

Without oil, your car's engine would seize up and stop working.

Water works the same way for our bodies. It carries oxygen into your system which is very important for muscle growth and recovery.

So the next time you feel really sore remember: Rest, Stretch, Water, Sleep.

One more thing: make sure to check out last week's blog on sleep; Don't go without it.


-Brian Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment